Verification and Compliance

As with most things in life the interesting and exciting parts sometimes need the backup of administrative and legal elements to make sure products and services you receive are as expected. With this in mind, there are prescribed ways you can verify your products and services, and there are Codes and Standards that ensure the products and services comply with Australian regulations. In addition, there are government bodies that can be approached, and dispute resolution processes available if you are not happy with responses from the suppliers.



The National Construction Code (NCC) is produced and maintained by the Australian Building Codes Board (ABCB) on behalf of the Australian Government and each state and territory government. Under the NCC, the Building Code of Australia (BCA) is a uniform set of technical provisions for the design and construction of buildings and other structures throughout Australia. It allows for variations in climate and geological or geographic conditions. The relevant Australian Standards that outline compliance requirements are:

  • AS 2047 - Windows and external glazed doors in buildings
  • AS 1288 - Glass in buildings: Selection and installation

Identifying compliance

A range of items should be supplied to you by window companies to verify performance claims and enable validation of compliance to standards and regulations. These items should be requested and retained. They include:

Performance Labels

Window assemblies in housing, except timber windows, must be labelled so the label can be seen when it is in situ. For timber windows and window assemblies for non-housing locations, either a label or a certificate is required. Please note windows must not be labelled on the glass. However, labelling on glass is permitted for fixed timber windows. The label or certificate must have as a minimum:

  • A way to identify the manufacturer.
  • The wind pressures for both Serviceability Limit State (SLS) and Ultimate Limit State (ULS).
  • Water penetration resistance.

Where a window has been energy rated, this information may also appear on the Performance Label.


Compliance Certificates

Where certificates are provided in addition to any labels, they must provide the same information. Certificates should also state compliance with the applicable Australia Standard(s). These should only be deemed acceptable if the company providing the certificate is a part of some type of accreditation scheme such as the AGWA independent third party NATA accreditation scheme.

Test Reports

Test reports should be requested if there is any doubt about the validity of labels or certificates supplied. See example on right.

AGWA Compliance Certificate

Example Test Report

Industry Association Member Databases

These can be a useful source of information to confirm if the company is a member of an industry association that has an accreditation scheme and audit program, such as AGWA.

More Information

AGWA Guide Series:

FAQs: Compliance & Accreditation

Government Bodies

If you want to contact a government body regarding points of clarification and disputes there are a few contact points, at state and national level that can supply direction or help with queries:


Dispute Resolution 

In every business transaction and ongoing projects, problems can arise from time to time between businesses and customers. Most can be quickly and efficiently resolved with good communications and talking through issues in a rational manner. However, there are times when communications break down and dispute resolution is required for resolution.

To maximise the chances of a successful dispute resolution, AGWA recommends the following:

  • Listen to each other’s points of view.
  • Ask for documentary evidence to verify the facts.
  • Understand your legal obligations - consult relevant laws and regulations.
  • Negotiate face to face in a calm and professional manner.
  • If you reach a stalemate, refer to your state Fair Trading agency or government body, some of whom are listed above.

Each Fair Trading agency or government body can provide information to suppliers, retailers and consumers to help resolve marketplace disputes. Where a dispute is unable to be resolved, you can either seek legal advice or lodge a claim with the relevant state or territory authority.

AGWA provides a mediation service between members and consumers for technical, product and services matters to installations, however there are some areas in which we are unable to be involved. They include contracts, payments and legal issues. AGWA may, at its discretion, occasionally assist with non-compliance problems non-members. For more information or to register concern about the services of a member please contact our Accreditation Team